July 16th, 2014
All food today gangy... Tons of possibilities. Guess away! 🙂
Last time's Winnahs:
* Laie Beach (Nobody)
* Hawaii State Capitol (carokun)
* Cafe Kaila (carokun)
* Joy of Sake is THIS FRIDAY!
Did you get your tickets to this year's Joy of Sake event yet? If not, what are you waiting for? Purchase your Joy of Sake tickets today and attend the world's largest sake celebration outside Japan, offering the opportunity to taste 370 premium labels in peak condition and eat ono kine grindz from 19 top restaurants from Hawaii and California!
- Nobody gets through all 370 sake, so stop worrying about that. Thirty to 40 is a very good sampling.
- If you've never tried sake, start with a daiginjo A. It'll be floral, nuanced, gentle, a good intro.
- Check the card in front of each sake: It'll tell you if judges awarded it a gold or silver star in its category. No star doesn't mean it's bad. The overall level of sake entered in Joy of Sake judging is impressive and hard to match even in Japan, where the JOS tour ends this fall after a stop in New York next month.
- If you see a black star, that sake isn't available in the U.S. The card also tells you where it was made, in case you're interested in sake from a particular region.
- If you're a novice, don't worry about searching for the harmony of taste, aroma, body and texture the pros look for. Everyone will have a different personal favorite. Just sip to find what you like.
And here's the list of restaurants and their featured dishes for the night!
- Banzai Sushi Bar - Seared Opah marinated in vinegar, dashi and soy sauce with lemon, garden vegetables and needle-cut chili peppers
- BLT Steak - Torched Steak Tartare with rice crisp & horseradish
- Buho Cocina y Cantina - Slow-cooked Pork Belly Tacos with pineapple pico and achiote aioli on homemade tortillas
- Cakeworks - Plum Wine, Pikake & Green Tea Gelee
- Chef Chai - Shrimp Salad with lemongrass mango dressing on a crispy wonton chip
- Doraku - Dashimaki Tamago with minced scallop, shrimp, Kona kampachi and yamaimo mountain yam
- Gokujo Sushi - Gokujo spicy ahi or California temaki sushi
- Halekulani - Olive Oil-poached Cubed Salmon with horseradish and watercress salad
- Hoku's (The Kahala Hotel & Resort) - Roast Pork Summer Roll with umeboshi honey paste & Asian slaw
- Hopscotch (Oakland) - Tri-tip Yukke with pine nuts and quail egg
- Kaiwa - Crab Parfait with dashi gelee, soy milk mousse and crunchy green beans
- Koko Head Cafe - Mazemen Soba with crispy chicken skin, parmesan dashi cream and carmelized onion tsuyu
- Memphis Minnie's BBQ Joint (San Francisco) - 18-hour slow-smoked Texas Beef Brisket
- Migrant Maui - Migrant Adobo with mushrooms, bay leaf rice, atchara pickled green papaya and Boy Bawang
- MW Restaurant - "Spam" Musubi of mochi-crusted smoked pork and arabiki meatloaf
- The Pig and The Lady - Freshly grilled layers of betel leaf, minced garlic beef and a shiitake cap filled with sake and a drop of artisan Red Boat
- Pili Group - Molokai Venison with Namihana Hawaiian Shochu and fresh pa`i`ai
- Three Fat Pigs - Featured Dish: Kauai Shrimp Poisson Cru
- Vintage Cave Honolulu - Featured Dish: Oyster with yuzu & ginger
Joy of Sake Honolulu
Friday, July 18, 2014 from 6:30pm-9pm (5:30pm for early bird ticket holders)
Hawaii Convention Center
1801 Kalakaua Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815
* New VH07V Polos!
We did a small run of Moisture Wicking Polos with white and neon yellow thread on our black blank. Came out pretty cherry yeah?
* Marcus Cancervive online Fundraiser!
My friend Marcus Reimel is battling a rare form of melanoma cancer called Mucosal Melanoma and needs your kokua through the online fundraiser called YouCaring. This is to help offset his mounting medical expenses. There are 16 days left in his fundraiser and he is almost there! ($20,940 raised of $25,000 goal) Please consider donating:
* Thoughts on LeBron's return to Cleveland?
* Thoughts on Jeter's performance at the 2014 MLB All-Star Game?
* Thoughts on local political races?
WEEKLY VH07V UPDATES!
* VH07V at Yajima-Ya "Eat & Shop" Event! - 8/02/14
In August, VH07V will be back again to hold our second "Eat & Shop" event at the Yajima-Ya Lunchwagon lot, but this time, there will be more than just us there! In addition to Yajima-Ya's meeeaaaan plate lunches and drinks from Ilandsoda, I've invited and confirmed the popular Eden In Love Boutique & Skylar Soares and her HiSky Hats!!! Cool right!?!? 🙂 Can't wait! So to summarize...
- Yajima-Ya: Udon, donburi, plate lunches
- Ilandsoda: drinks
- Eden In Love Boutique: cute ladies wear
- HiSky Hats: Custom Trucker hats teaching of sun safety.
- VH07V: Men's, Women's and Keiki apparel.
* VH07V at Rice Fest! - 9/28/14
It's a bit out, but since we've already locked in the date, I figured I'd mention Rice Fest and VH07V's appearance there as well. 🙂 It'll be from 11am-5pm on Sunday, September 28th at Ward (blocking off part of Auahi Street fronting Ward Warehouse). Hope to see y'all there!
* Mailing List
If you haven't already, be sure to sign up for our mailing list to get the latest scoops! I promise I don't email too often (takes planny effort you know da kine! 😛 ).
* Order Online!
Get all of the latest VH07V gear at:
As always, a big mahalos to everyone for your support and for helping to spread the VH07V! 8)
(Add me! 😛 )
Like Hawaii Self Storage on Facebook!