By World Wide Ed
Rice Fest countdown =
1 day! 8)
Wow, I can't believe Rice Fest 2012 is finally here! Tomorrow, from 11am-7pm, Hawaii's only rice inspired food festival takes place at Ward Centers in Honolulu. Amongst the day's food and festivities, there will be celebrity & chef cooking demonstrations, a "Riceipe" cooking competition, live entertainment by Jody Kamisato, and Jon Yamasato and a Taiko Drum Performance by Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Hawaii, a SPAM® Musubi Eating Contest, and a Guinness World Record™ attempt to create the Largest SPAM® Musubi in the world!
Below is the commercial and an an hour by hour breakdown of the day's events. Hope you can join us!
Common Grains & JRE 3rd Annual Hawaii Rice Festival
TOMORROW from @ 11am-7pm
11am - Rice Fest (at Ward Warehouse) starts, hosted by 94.7 KUMU's Bruddah Bryan
12:15pm-12:35pm - 1st Celebrity/Chef Cooking Demo (with Chef Mavro's George Mavrothalassitis and Hawaii News Now's Stephanie Lum & Shawn Ching)
12:45pm-1:15pm - "Riceipe" Cooking Contest with returning champ Chef Hideaki "Santa" Miyoshi from Tokkuri Tei, Chef Eric Goodhew from Kincaid's Restaurant, Chef Jonathan Mack from Caribbean Spice, and Chef Andy Dalan from YogurStory).
1:15pm-1:45pm - "Riceipe" Cooking Contest Judging - Food experts Nadine Kam from the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, and Melissa Chang & Mari Taketa from Nonstop Honolulu, and Katie Ka'anapu from Ward Centers
2pm-2:50pm - Ukulele performances by Jody Kamisato & Uke's Rising Stars
3pm-3:20pm - 2nd Celebrity/Chef Cooking Demo (with Hawaiian Grown Kitchen's Chef Grant Kawasaki and KHON2's Justin Cruz)
3:30pm-4pm - Taiko Drum Performance by Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Hawaii
4pm-4:30pm - Basketball Freestyle demo by former America's Got Talent contestant Kalani Ahmad
4:30pm-5pm - Musical performance by Jon Yamasato
6pm-6:10pm - 3rd Annual SPAM® Musubi Eating Contest - with two-time defending champ "Uncle Rodney"
6:15pm-6:30pm - Guinness World Record™ for Largest SPAM® Musubi - Official Weigh-In
6:30pm-7pm - Contest Winner Announcements and closing remarks
7pm - 2012 Rice Fest concludes
All Day (11am-7pm)
* Brown Rice Donation Center - Brown Rice and monetary donations accepted for Lanakila Meals on Wheels at the Lanakila Pacific / Info booth, Oceanic Time Warner Cable booth, Channel808 booth, and VH07V booth
* Guinness World Record™ attempt - Construction of the world's Largest SPAM® Musubi in an attempt to break the Guinness World Record™ of 286 lbs!
* Live Tweetup/Scavenger Hunt - Compete in this Tweetup/Scavenger Hunt for a chance to win great prizes!
* Rice Education Booth - Learn all about Rice from the University of Hawaii at Manoa's Professor of Nutrition Dr. Maria Stewart
And let's not forget about all of the participating vendors & food trucks:
- Camille's On Wheels
- Menu: Latin Fare w/ Cilantro Rice, Quinoa-Rice-Black Beans Salad
- *** Brown Rice donations accepted here
- Common Grains
- Menu: Hot Omusubi: Made to order with new crop rice from Japan; Any one vegetable filling ume or takuan, Meat filling; Japanese Curry Rice
- Curry King
- Menu: Curry & Rice; Mochi Fried Rice; Katsu Musubi
- Dr. Maria Stewart, Professor of Nutrition
- Ev'ryting Taste Betta Wit, LLC
- Genki Sushi Ward Centers
- Menu: Inari (2pcs), California Roll (2pcs), Spicy Tuna Handroll, California Handroll, Spicy Tuna Bowl
- The Girls Who Bake Next Door
- Menu: Mochi: bod-bod butter mochi (butter mochi on top, mochi rice on the bottom), butter mochi, and poi mochi; Cupcakes: chocolate toffee peanut butter, red velvet, and pumpkin; Cookies: chocolate chip with macadamia nuts, oatmeal raisin, and oatmeal coconut chocolate chip
- Hawaii Panel
- Hawaii's Fried Musubi
- Menu: Fried Spam Musubis, Mama's Fried Chicken Combo, Fried Hawaiian Style Ahi, Fried desserts (oreos, red velvet cupcakes, twinkies), Specialty drinks (home-made plantation iced-tea, and pineapple infused iced tea)
- Kakaako Kitchen
- Menu: Famous Kaka'ako Kitchen Fried Rice w/ Korean Style Beef, Coconut Scented Black Rice with Lemongrass Chicken
- Kinkaid's Ward
- Menu: Salmon Risotto: Hearts of palm, crimini mushrooms, parmesan cheese, parsley, red wine gastrique; Pinapple Fried Rice with Pork Belly: Peas carrots, celery, sambal, green onion
- Lanakila Pacific
- *** Brown Rice and monetary donations accepted here
- Lundberg Family Farms / Aloha Natural Brokers
- Menu: Single-serve Rice Chips
- Ninja Sushi
- Menu: Shoyu Ahi Poke w/ Rice, Spicy Ahi Poke w/ Rice
- Oceanic Time Warner Cable
- *** Brown Rice donations accepted here
- Ono Pops
- Menu: Fresh local handmade Hawaiian popsicles
- Menu: Spam Musubi, Shave Ice, Gotterbi, Gotter Balls
- Shogunai Tacos
- Menu: Osaka Jo, Japanese Pork Taco; Zeus' Glory, Greek Lamb Taco; Salad de Casbah, Rice, with Tuna, Corn, Cumin, and Spicy Bacon; Damascus, Vegetarian Hummus Tacos; South of the Border, Mexican Ground Beef Taco; Ceylon, Spicy Sri Lankan, beef taco; Curry spiced beef with jalapeno, kimchee, and grilled onion; Moroccan Pomme Frites
- Summer's LavaDogs
- Tango Market
- Menu: Fried Rice w/ Braised Beef; Risotto w/ Garlic Shrimp; Danish Rice Pudding w/ Berry Compote; Hawaii Book of Rice
- VH07V Apparel
- Menu: Official 2012 Rice Fest Shirt (see below). *** Brown Rice donations accepted here.
Hope you can make it down to experience another long year of my blood, sweat and tears for this event... See y'all there!