2011 Rice Fest is TODAY (Schedule of Events from 10am-6pm)
Well, my baby has finally arrived. It took 1 whole year (again), but I pushed and I pushed and am ready to deliver it to you today. Hope you can make it down to Rice Fest at Ala Moana's Magic Island today between 10am-6pm.
Check out the below for an hour by hour breakdown of the day's festivities including celebrity & chef cooking demonstrations, "Riceipe" cooking competitions, live entertainment by Jody Kamisato, Bruce Shimabukuro and a Taiko Drum Performance by Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Hawaii, a SPAM® Musubi Eating Contest, and a Guinness World Record™ attempt to create the Largest SPAM® Musubi in the world!
2nd Annual Hawaii Rice Festival
Magic Island at Ala Moana Beach Park
TODAY from @ 10am-6pm
10am - Rice Fest (at Ala Moana's Magic Island) starts, hosted by 102.7 Da Bomb's Bruddah Bryan
10:15am-10:45am - Ukulele performances by Jody Kamisato & Uke's Rising Stars
11am-11:20am - 1st Celebrity/Chef Cooking Demo (with Chef Kent Thompson and Hawaii News Now's Minna Sugimoto)
11:30am-12:30pm - "Riceipe" Cooking Competition - Amateur Division (including Leticia Buhr, Cathy Nobriga Kim, Loreen Matsushima, Mao Moeng, and Joan Murata).
12:30pm-1:30pm - "Riceipe" Cooking Competition - Professional Division (including returning champ Hideaki "Santa" Miyoshi from Tokkuri Tei, Executive Chef Wayne Hirabayashi from the Kahala Hotel & Resort, Executive Chef Hector Morales from the Turtle Bay Resort, and retired chef Kent Thompson).
"Riceipe" Competition Professionals: Chef Hideaki "Santa" Miyoshi (Tokkuri Tei), Executive Chef Wayne Hirabayashi (Kahala Hotel & Resort), Executive Chef Hector Morales (Turtle Bay Resort), Chef Kent Thompson (retired)
"Riceipe" Cooking Competition - Judges (11:30pm-1:30pm) - Food experts John Heckathorn from Honolulu Magazine, Nadine Kam from the Honolulu Star Advertiser and Melissa Chang and Mari Taketa from Nonstop Honolulu.
2pm-2:20pm - 2nd Celebrity/Chef Cooking Demo (with Chef Mavro's George Mavrothalassitis and The Cat Dish's Catherine Toth)
2:30pm-3pm - Taiko Drum Performance by Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Hawaii
3pm-3:30pm - Ukulele performance by Bruce Shimabukuro
4pm-4:20pm - 3rd Celebrity/Chef Cooking Demo (with Maui's Sea House Restaurant's Executive Chef Craig Erickson and KHON2's Justin Cruz)
4:30pm-5pm - Guinness World Record™ for Largest SPAM® Musubi - Official Weigh-In
5pm-5:30pm - 2nd Annual SPAM® Musubi Eating Contest
5:30pm-6pm - Contest winner announcements
6pm - Rice Fest concludes
All Day (10am-6pm)
* Rice Donation Center - Donate your brown rice to Lanakila Meals on Wheels and white rice to Hawaii Foodbank
* Guinness World Record™ attempt to create the Largest SPAM® Musubi
* Live Tweetup/Scavenger Hunt - Compete in this Tweetup/Scavenger Hunt for a chance to win great prizes!
* Rice Education Booth - Learn all about Rice from the University of Hawaii at Manoa's Professor of Nutrition Dr. Maria Stewart, and
* The Keiki Zone - coloring contest hosted by members of the 2011 Narcissus Festival Court from 10am-2pm, bouncies, balloons and fun from Douglas Odani, Crystal Face Painting & Tattoos by Lei Crystal Tattoos, and games from JMJ Gaming.
And let's not forget about all of the participating vendors & booths:
- Bruce Shimabukuro / The Ukebox
- Douglas Odani - Balloon Twister
- Dr. Maria Stewart - University of Hawaii at Manoa Professor of Nutrition
- Grandma G's Kitchen
- Hawaii Book of Rice / Watermark Publishing
- Hawaii Foodbank
- Hawaiian Style Chili Co.
- Island Fruits
- JMJ Gaming
- Kat's Sushi
- The Keiki Zone
- Lanakila Meals on Wheels
- Lei Crystal Tattoos
- Oceanic Time Warner Cable
- Ono Local Foods
- Ono Pops
- Project Grad
- Raised on Rice
- Sam's Kitchen
- SNOW |F|A|C|T|O|R|Y|
- Taste & See Delights
Hope you can make it down to experience another long year of my blood, sweat and tears for this event... See y'all there! 🙂