Eat Local This Week!
In an effort to bring attention to Hawaii's food system and sustainability issues, Kanu Hawaii is asking all of us again to make a difference by taking the Eat Local Challenge. Starting yesterday and continuing through this Saturday, the challenge asks participants to eat only locally grown foods. Currently, more than 75% of our food is imported from out of state, which accounts to over $3 billion that is not being spent here. If barge and air freight to Hawaii were to be interrupted, our islands' food supplies would only last 14 days. Eat Local aims to bring awareness to this issue and hopes to in turn, strengthen our local food system as a result.
Eating Local doesn't necessarily mean going to your local eatery and ordering your favorite plate lunch though. Much of what is on that plate may not even be locally grown. The challenge is to find, buy and eat foods that were only grown here. Not exactly an easy task. Thankfully, there are participating markets and restaurants offering special "local" dishes for the week:
- Zippy's Restaurants - Loco Moco with Local Ingredients
- Town Restaurant - Menu Item with All Local Ingredients
- The Counter, Kahala Mall - Local Ahi Burger
- Big City Diner - Menu Item with Local Ingredients
- Hilo Bay Cafe - Menu Item with Local Ingredients
- Kale's Natural Foods - Discounts on "Eat Local" Items
- Foodland - Week-Long Menu & Shopping List
- Whole Foods - Eat Local Events In-Store
- KTA Superstores - Specials on Locally-Grown Items
- Kokua Market - Coupon for Local Deli Item
- Umeke Market - Local Kim Chee Burger
For more information, please visit: http://www.kanuhawaii.org/eatlocal/.
I was not paid nor was I even asked to write about this. Just thought it was an important issue that we all need/should be aware of. So what do you say gang? You gonna help support this worthy, and frankly necessary cause? What are your ideas on supporting our local products and economy? Holla!
See you out and about this week! 🙂